One dead, several injured following derailment of Bangalore-Kamakhya train near Cuttack in Odisha

Cuttack District Magistrate Dattatreya Bhausaheb Shinde, who was monitoring the rescue operations, had earlier said one person was killed and seven others injured in the accident, but the Railways claimed the number of injured was three.

ओडिशा में बेंगलुरु-कामाख्या एक्सप्रेस पटरी से उतरी, एक व्यक्ति की मौत, कई घायल

One person died and three others were injured when an express train derailed in Odisha’s Cuttack district on Sunday, officials said.

East Coast Railway Chief Public Relations Officer (CPRO) Ashok Kumar Mishra said that 11 coaches of SMVT Bengaluru-Kamakhya AC Express derailed at Nirgundi near Manguli at 11:54 am.

The railway said that the deceased has been identified as 22-year-old Suvankar Roy, a resident of Alipurduar in West Bengal.

It said that the youth jumped off the train after the train derailed and died.

However, an official said that railway officials are waiting for the post-mortem report to ascertain the actual cause of death.

The East Coast Railway also said in a statement that a woman passenger has suffered serious injuries and two other male passengers are being treated for minor injuries.

Cuttack District Magistrate Dattatreya Bhausaheb Shinde, who is monitoring the rescue operation, had earlier said that one person was killed and seven others injured in the accident but the railways claimed the number of injured was three.

“Four others were rushed to hospital but they were not injured due to the derailment. Rather, these were patients returning home after treatment in Bengaluru. They too were rescued from the derailed coaches and rushed to hospital,” a senior official claimed.

He said the number of injured was three and not seven.

Odisha Chief Minister Mohan Charan Majhi expressed concern over the accident and said, “Officials are at the site, ensuring assistance and restoring normalcy at the earliest. Helplines have been activated for assistance.”

A special train carrying stranded passengers from the accident site has left for Kamakhya.

Meanwhile, the railways have announced ex-gratia for the deceased passenger and the injured.

“An ex-gratia of Rs five lakh has been announced for the next of kin of the deceased. Similarly, an ex-gratia of Rs 2.5 lakh for the seriously injured and Rs 50,000 for the minor injured has been announced,” an official statement said.

However, more than a dozen passengers of the derailed train fell sick and are being treated at a temporary health camp near the accident site.

The Cuttack District Magistrate said some passengers suddenly came out of the air-conditioned coaches and got stuck in the scorching heat of the area, causing their health to deteriorate.

Adequate drinking water was provided to the passengers, he said. All the injured were admitted to the government-run SCB Medical College and Hospital (SCB MCH) in Cuttack, he said.

SCB MCH Administrative Officer Subhas Chandra Ray said, “One person died. The seven injured include three men and four women.”

Follow Us on… Dailyhunt kootwitter fb GOOGLE NEWS

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *